Professor Chris Todd
Professor of Primary Care and Community Health/Director of Research
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)161 306 7865
- Alternative Telephone: ++44 (0)161 306 7860 (PA: Stacey Body)
- Fax: +44 (0) 161 306 7894
The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work
The University of Manchester
Room 6.314b, Jean McFarlane Building
Manchester M13 9PL
Fall Prevention Falling is very common amongst older people and is responsible for considerable disability and distress. Interventions such as exercise aimed at improving balance and increasing muscle strength can reduce falling amongst older people, but we still need to know a lot more about how to ensure such interventions are most effective. Much of Chris's work relates to identifying how to encourage uptake and adherence to promote effectiveness of interventions. Chris led the Prevention of Falls Network Europe and currently leads a number of projects related to fall prevention. He also lead the ProFaNE team that developed the FES-I, a very widely used measure of fear of falling. His current work is focusing on interventions for people with visual impairments and using smartphones and other technologies to predict detect and prevent falls (FARSEEING). He is part of the EC's European Innovation Partnership on Active and Healthy Ageing (see EC website1 and website2 ) and leads the Prevention of Falls Network for Dissemination ProFouND.
Cancer and Palliative Care A major area of interest is how to support people during their last illness so that they can have maximum quality of life and remain with their family and friends. Chris’ group have been investigating access to palliative care services and the way that community based palliative care services, nursing services and social care, can help people to remain at home when they are seriously ill. His most recent studies have focused on supporting the family carers of people with palliative care needs, and the methodological challenges of palliative and end of life care research. He was recwently co-PI on the MORECare project and played a central role in the Cancer Experiences Collaborative CECo leading work on methdology.
Breast cancer amongst older women. Breast cancer is prevalent amongst older women but evidence shows that older women are less likely to receive surgery and other standard interventions than their younger counterparts. Chris works on a programme of studies with Dr Katrina Lavelle and Prof Nigel Bundred investigating aspects of the management of breast cancer.
Integrating nutrition into the care pathway for colorectal cancer patients. Chris works with Dr Sorrel Burden on a programme that uses the MRC Framework/Guidance for developing complex interventions in this case using nutritional interventions for cancer. The first phase of the work involved qualitative interviews with people with colorectal cancer. We are currently conducting a randomised controlled trial of a nutritional intervention in preoperative colorectal cancer patients.
A description of my expertise is also held on the ResearcherID website
Promoting positive ageing: The prevention of falls and fractures in older people (See the ProFaNE website). Outcomes of care. Age related inequalities in access to cancer treatments. See the FARSEEING website
The psychology of falling: Mechanisms to promote uptake and adherence to fall prevention interventions. Psycho-social consequences and sequellae of falls (fear of falling). See Prevention of Falls Network Europe (ProFaNE) website.
Stress amongst health care professionals: Surveys of stress in professional groups. Interventions and job redesign to reduce stress.
Chris teachs on a number of courses in the School, including the BNurs. MRes and PhD programmes.
Chris has supervised many PhD students over the years and is always keen to hear from potential students in his areas of interest.
Chris read Psychology at the University of Durham and obtained BA, MA and PhD. He is currently Professor of Primary Care and Community Health and Director of Research in The School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work. He is a Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow of The British Psychological Society.
He has held and/or currently holds grants from the Department of Health, NHS, various research charities, MRC, NIHR and the European Commission, He was a member of the European Commission DG12 Expert Working Party on research into postural stability and fall prevention in the elderly population. He has reviewed for a wide range of research committees and charities both in UK and overseas. He is currently a member of NIHR Health Services Research Board and the Dimbleby Cancer Care Scientific Advisory Board.
He wrote The World Health Organisation’s policy synopsis on the prevention of falls amongst older people and was a member of the group which wrote the 2007 WHO Global Report on Falls Prevention.
- Evans, C. Benalia, H. Preston, N. Grande, Gysels, M. Short, V. Daveson, B. Bausewein, C. Todd, C. Higginson, I. on behalf of MORECare. (2013). The Selection and Use of Outcome Measures in Palliative and End-of-Life Care Research: The MORECare International Consensus Workshop. Journal of Pain and Sympton Mangement, eScholarID:195576
- Farquhar, M., Preston, N., Evans, C., Grande, G., Short, V., Benalia, H., Higginson, I. & Todd On Behalf Of Morecare, C (2013). Mixed Methods Research in the Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions in Palliative and End-of-Life Care: Report on the MORECare Consensus Exercise. J Palliat Med, eScholarID:213325 | PMID:24195755 | DOI:10.1089/jpm.2012.0572
- Higginson, I. Evans, C. Grande, G. Preston, N. Morgan, M. McCrone, P. Lewis, P. Fayers, P. Harding, R. Hotopf, M. Murray, S. Benalia, H. Gysels, M. Farquhar, M. Todd, C. and on behalf of MORECare. (2013). Evaluating complex interventions in End of Life Care: the MORECare Statement on good practice generated by a synthesis of transparent expert consultations and systematic reviews. BMC Medicine, 11, 111. eScholarID:193064 | DOI:10.1186/1741-7015-11-111
- Horne, M., Skelton, D., Speed, S. & Todd, C (2013). Perceived barriers to initiating and maintaining physical activity among South Asian and White British adults in their 60s living in the United Kingdom: a qualitative study. Ethn Health, eScholarID:209596 | PMID:23834070 | DOI:10.1080/13557858.2013.814762
- L. Schwickert, C. Becker, U. Lindemann, C. Maréchal, A. Bourke, L. Chiari, J.L. Helbostad, W. Zijlstra, K. Aminian, C. Todd, S. Bandinelli, J. Klenk. (2013). Sturzerkennung mit am Körper getragenen Sensoren Ein systematischer Review. Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie, eScholarID:213952 | DOI:10.1007/s00391-013-0559-8
- Roberts, D. Wilson, C. Todd, C. Long, A. F. Mackerethd, P. Stringerd, J. Cartera, A. Parkine, S. Caress, A. L. (2013). Complementary therapies in cancer: Patients’ views on their purposes and value pre and post receipt of complementary therapy—A multi-centre case study. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 5(5), 443-449. eScholarID:213324 | DOI:10.1016/j.eujim.2013.06.005
- Stanmore, E., Oldham, J., Skelton, D., O'Neill, T., Pilling, M., Campbell, A. & Todd, C (2013). Risk factors for falls in adults with rheumatoid arthritis: A prospective study. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), eScholarID:192341 | PMID:23436687 | DOI:10.1002/acr.21987
- Stone P, Gwilliam B, Keeley V, Todd C, Kelly LC, Barclay S. (2013). Factors affecting recruitment to an observational multi-centre palliative care study. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, 1-5. eScholarID:192346 | DOI:doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2012-00039
- Becker, C., Schwickert, L., Mellone, S., Bagalà, F., Chiari, L., Helbostad, J., Zijlstra, W., Aminian, K., Bourke, A., Todd, C., Bandinelli, S., Kerse, N. & Klenk, J (2012). Proposal for a multiphase fall model based on real-world fall recordings with body-fixed sensors. Z Gerontol Geriatr, 45(8), 707-15. eScholarID:192340 | PMID:23184296 | DOI:10.1007/s00391-012-0403-6
- Burden, S., Todd, C., Hill, J. & Lal, S (2012). Pre-operative nutrition support in patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 11, CD008879. eScholarID:192343 | PMID:23152265 | DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD008879.pub2
- Gwilliam, B., Keeley, V., Todd, C., Roberts, C., Gittins, M., Kelly, L., Barclay, S. & Stone, P (2012). Prognosticating in patients with advanced cancer--observational study comparing the accuracy of clinicians' and patients' estimates of survival. Ann Oncol, 1-7. eScholarID:173291 | PMID:23028038 | DOI:10.1093/annonc/mds341
- Hawley, H. Skelton, D.A. Campbell, M. Todd. C. (2012). Are the attitudes of Exercise Instructors who work with Older Adults influenced by training and personal characteristics? Journal of Ageing and Physical Activity, 20, 47-63. eScholarID:141641
- Horne, M., Skelton, D., Speed, S. & Todd, C (2012). Attitudes and beliefs to the uptake and maintenance of physical activity among community-dwelling South Asians aged 60-70 years: a qualitative study. Public Health, 126(5), 417-23. eScholarID:192342 | PMID:22445713 | DOI:10.1016/j.puhe.2012.02.002
- McAllister, M. Dunn, G. Payne, K. Davies, L. and Todd, C. (2012). Patient Empowerment: The need to consider it as a measurable Patient-Reported Outcome for Chronic Conditions. BMC Health Services Research, 12, 157. eScholarID:162861 | DOI:10.1186/1472-6963-12-157
- Payne S. Seymour J, Grande G. Froggatt K, Molassiotis A Lloyd-Williams M, Foster C.L, Addington-Hall J, Rolls L, Todd. (2012). An evaluation of research capacity building from the Cancer Experiences Collaborative. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, eScholarID:192336 | DOI:doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2012-000236
- Preston NJ, Farquhar MC, Walshe CE, Stevinson C, Ewing G, Calman LA, Burden S, Brown Wilson C, Hopkinson JB, Todd CJ. (2012). Strategies to increase participant recruitment to research studies by healthcare professionals:(Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic, (9), eScholarID:173295 | DOI:10.1002/14651858.MR000036
- Schwenk, M. Lauenroth, A. Stock, C. Moreno, R.R. Oster, P. McHugh, G. Todd, C.Hauer, K. (2012). Definitions and methods of measuring and reporting on injurious falls in randomised controlled fall prevention trials: a systematic review. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 12(50), eScholarID:164445 | DOI:10.1186/1471-2288-12-50
- Stanmore, E., Oldham, J., Skelton, D., O'Neill, T., Pilling, M., Campbell, A. & Todd, C (2012). Fall incidence and outcomes of falls in a prospective study of adults with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), eScholarID:192344 | PMID:23139011 | DOI:10.1002/acr.21892
- Stone P, Gwilliam B, Keeley V, Todd C, Gittens M, Kelly L, Barclay S and Roberts C. (2012). Patients’ reports or clinicians’ assessments – which are better for prognosticating? An observational study. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, 2, 219-223. eScholarID:192345 | DOI:doi:10.1136/bmjspcare-2012-000216
- Whitehead, S.H., Nyman, S.R., Skelton, D.A., Broaders, F. and Todd, C.J. (2012). The quality of English language websites offering falls prevention advice to older members of the public and their families. Health Informatics Journal, 18(1), 50-65. eScholarID:136968 | DOI:10.1177/1460458211432588
- Burden, S., Hill, J., Shaffer, J., Campbell, M. & Todd, C (2011). An unblinded randomised controlled trial of preoperative oral supplements in colorectal cancer patients. J Hum Nutr Diet, 24(5), 441-8. eScholarID:136966 | PMID:21699587 | DOI:10.1111/j.1365-277X.2011.01188.x
- Coventry, P. Gemmell, I. Todd, C. (2011). Hospital re-admission in COPD patients on early discharge schemes: psychosocial factors. European Respiratory Journal, eScholarID:111611
- Coventry, P; Gemmell, I; Todd, C. (2011). Psychosocial risk factors for hospital readmission in COPD patients on early discharge services: a cohort study. BMC Pulmonary Medicine, 11(49), eScholarID:136955 | DOI:doi:10.1186/1471-2466-11-49
- Gwilliam, B., Keeley, V., Todd, C., Gittins, M., Roberts, C., Kelly, L., Barclay, S. & Stone, P (2011). Development of Prognosis in Palliative care Study (PiPS) predictor models to improve prognostication in advanced cancer: prospective cohort study. BMJ, 343, d4920. eScholarID:136963 | PMID:21868477 | DOI:10.1136/bmj.d4920
- Hauer, K., Kempen, G., Schwenk, M., Yardley, L., Beyer, N., Todd, C., Oster, P. & Zijlstra, G (2011). Validity and sensitivity to change of the falls efficacy scales international to assess fear of falling in older adults with and without cognitive impairment. Gerontology, 57(5), 462-72. eScholarID:136956 | PMID:20975251 | DOI:10.1159/000320054
- McAllister, M. Wood, AM. Dunn, G. Shiloh, S. Todd, C. (2011). The Genetic Counseling Outcome Scale: a new patient-reported outcome measure for clinical genetics services. Clinical Genetics, 79(5), 413-424. eScholarID:118508 | DOI:10.1111/j.1399-0004.2011.01636.x
- McAllister, M., Wood. A. M., Dunn., G., Shiloh, S., Todd., C. (2011). The Perceived Personal Control (PPC) Questionnaire: Reliability and validity in a UK sample. American Journal of Medical Genetics, eScholarID:136967 | DOI:DOI 10.1002/ajmg.a.34374
- Payne, S. Seymour, J. Molassiotis, A. Froggatt, K. Grande, G. Lloyd-Williams, M. Foster, C. Wilson, R. Rolls, L. Todd, C. Addington-Hall, J. (2011). Benefit and challenges of collaberative research: lessons from supportive and palliative care. BMJ Supportive & Palliative Care, 1(1), 5-11. eScholarID:127445 | DOI:10.1136/bmjspcare-2011-000018
- Burden, S., Hill, J., Shaffer, J. & Todd, C (2010). Nutritional status of preoperative colorectal cancer patients. J Hum Nutr Diet, 23(4), 402-7. eScholarID:135748 | PMID:20487172 | DOI:10.1111/j.1365-277X.2010.01070.x
- Funk L, Stajduhar KI, Toye C, Aoun S, Grande GE, Todd CJ. (2010). Part 2: Home based family caregiving at the end of life: a comprehensive review of published qualitative research (1998 - 2008). Palliative Medicine, 26(6), 594-607. eScholarID:101252 | DOI:10.1177/0269216310371411
- Gilbert R, Ben-Shlomo Y, Yardley L, Todd C. (2010). Socio-demographic factors predict the likelihood of not returning home after hospital admission following a fall. Journal of Public Health, 32(1), 117-124. eScholarID:1d19781 | DOI:10.1093/pubmed/fdp077
- Hauer KS, Kempen GIJM, Schwenk M, Yardley L, Beyer N, Todd C, Oster P, Zilstra GAR. (2010). Validity and Sensitivity to Change of the Falls Efficacy Scales International to Assess Fear of Falling in Older Adults with and without Cognitive Impairment. Gerontology, 57(5), 462-199. eScholarID:101358 | DOI:10.1159/000320054
- Helbostad JL, Taraldsen K, Granbe R, Yardley L, Todd CJ, Sletvold O. (2010). Validation of the Falls Efficacy Scale-International in fall-prone older persons. Age and Ageing, 39(2), 256-259. eScholarID:101228 | DOI:10.1093/ageing/afp224
- Horne M, Speed S, Skelton DA, Todd C. (2010). The influence of primary health care professionals in encouraging exercise and physical activity uptake among White and South Asian older adults: experiences of young older adults. Patient Education and Counselling, 78(1), 97-103. eScholarID:1d28322 | DOI:10.1016/j.pec.2009.04.004
- McAllistair M, Dunn G, Todd C. (2010). Empowerment: qualitative underpinning of a new clinical genetics-specific patient-reported outcome. Journal of Human Genetics, 19, 125-130. eScholarID:101366 | DOI:doi:10.1038/ejhg.2010.160
- Rogers, MS. Tood, C. (2010). Can cancer influence the pain agenda in Oncology Outpatient Consultations? Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 39(2), 268-282. eScholarID:106125 | DOI:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.05.024
- Stajduhar KI, Funk L, Toye C, Grande GE, Aoun S, Todd CJ. (2010). Part 1: Home based family caregiving at the end of life: a comprehensive review of published quantitative research (1998 - 2008). Palliative Medicine, 24(6), 573-593. eScholarID:101250 | DOI:10.1177/0269216310371412
- Stevinson C, Preston N, Todd C and Cancer Experiences Collaberative (CECo). (2010). Defining priorities in prognostication research: results of a consensus workshop. Palliative Medicine, 24, 462-468. eScholarID:101237 | DOI:10.1177/0269216310368452
- Walshe C, Caress A, Chew-Graham C, Todd C. (2010). Nurses' feelings of 'ownership' of palliative care patients: findings from a qualitative case study. Progress in Palliative Care, 18(6), 347-351. eScholarID:101389 | DOI:10.1179/096992610X12775428637060
- Grande GE, Stajduhar K, Aoun S, Toye C, Funk L, Addington-Hall J, Payne S, Todd C. (2009). Supporting lay carers in the end of life care: current gaps and future priorities. Palliative Medicine, 23, 339-344. eScholarID:1d28313 | DOI:10.1177/0269216309104875
- Grande, G., Farquhar, M., Barclay, S. & Todd, C (2009). Quality of life measures (EORTC QLQ-C30 and SF-36) as predictors of survival in palliative colorectal and lung cancer patients. Palliat Support Care, 7(3), 289-97. eScholarID:136790 | PMID:19788770 | DOI:10.1017/S1478951509990216
- Hauer, K. Tremmell, AD. Ramroth, H. Pfisterer, M. Todd, C. Oster, P. Schuler, M. (2009). Repressive coping in geriatric patients' reports - impact on fear of falling. Zeitschrift für Gerontologie und Geriatrie, 42(2), 137-144. eScholarID:106085 | DOI:10.1007/s00391-008-0552-9
- Horne, M., Speed, S., Skelton, D. & Todd, C (2009). What do community-dwelling Caucasian and South Asian 60-70 year olds think about exercise for fall prevention? Age Ageing, 38(1), 68-73. eScholarID:136438 | PMID:19039019 | DOI:10.1093/ageing/afn237
- Mackereth, P., Carter, A., Parkin, S., Stringer, J., Caress, A., Todd, C., Long, A. & Roberts, D (2009). Complementary therapists' training and cancer care: a multi-site study. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 13(5), 330-5. eScholarID:136864 | PMID:19505850 | DOI:10.1016/j.ejon.2009.04.009
- Molassiotis, A., Brearley, S., Saunders, M., Craven, O., Wardley, A., Farrell, C., Swindell, R., Todd, C. & Luker, K (2009). Effectiveness of a home care nursing program in the symptom management of patients with colorectal and breast cancer receiving oral chemotherapy: a randomized, controlled trial. J Clin Oncol, 27(36), 6191-8. eScholarID:135817 | PMID:19917849 | DOI:10.1200/JCO.2008.20.6755
- Peter, M., Ann, C., Sam, P., Jacqui, S., Dai, R., Andrew, L., Chris, T. & Ann, C (2009). Complementary therapists' motivation to work in cancer/supportive and palliative care: a multi-centre case study. Complement Ther Clin Pract, 15(3), 161-5. eScholarID:136863 | PMID:19595418 | DOI:10.1016/j.ctcp.2009.03.004
- Preston N, Payne S, Todd C. (2009). Conducting research in palliative care patients: a burden or an opportunity? Journal of Palliative Nursing, 15(11), 524-525. eScholarID:101235
- Pye SR, Tobias J, Silman AJ et al (EPOS). (2009). Childhood fractures do not predict future fractures: Results from the European Prospective Osteoporosis Study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 24(7), 1314-1318. eScholarID:101458 | DOI:10.1359/jbmr.090220
- Walshe C, Todd C, Caress A, Chew-Graham CA. (2009). Patterns of access to community palliative care services: a literature review. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 37, 884-912. eScholarID:1d28184 | DOI:10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2008.05.004
- Barberia, A., Attree, M. & Todd, C (2008). Understanding eating behaviours in Spanish women enrolled in a weight-loss treatment. J Clin Nurs, 17(7), 957-66. eScholarID:136441 | PMID:18321293 | DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02073.x
- Cullum S, Metcalfe C, Brayne C, Todd C. (2008). Does depression predict adverse outcomes for older medical inpatients? A prospective cohort study of individuals screened for a trial. Age and Ageing, 37, 690-695. eScholarID:1d28188 | DOI:10.1093/ageing/afn193
- Keeley, P., Creed, F., Tomenson, B., Todd, C., Borglin, G. & Dickens, C (2008). Psychosocial predictors of health-related quality of life and health service utilisation in people with chronic low back pain. Pain, 135(1-2), 142-50. eScholarID:136442 | PMID:17611036 | DOI:10.1016/j.pain.2007.05.015
- Kempen GIJM, Yardley L, van Haastregt JCM, Zijlstra RGA, Beyer N, Hauer K, Todd C. (2008). The Short FES-I: a shortened version of the falls efficacy scale-international to assess fear of falling. Age and Ageing, 37(1), 45-50. eScholarID:1d28026 | DOI:10.1093/ageing/afm157
- Lavelle KJ, Todd C, Campbell MG. (2008). Do postage stamps versus pre-paid envelopes increase responses to patient mail surveys?: A randomised controlled trial. BMC Health Service Research, 8, 113. eScholarID:1d17295 | DOI:10.1186/1472-6963-8-113
- Walshe C, Caress A, Chew-Graham CA, Todd C. (2008). Implementation and impact of the Gold Standards Framework in community palliative care: a qualitative study of three Primary Care Trusts. Palliative Medicine, 22(6), 736-743. eScholarID:1d28124 | DOI:10.1177/0269216308094103
- Walshe, C., Chew-Graham, C., Todd, C. & Caress, A (2008). What influences referrals within community palliative care services? A qualitative case study. Soc Sci Med, 67(1), 137-46. eScholarID:136862 | PMID:18433963 | DOI:10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.03.027
- Walshe, C., Todd, C., Caress, A. & Chew-Graham, C (2008). Judgements about fellow professionals and the management of patients receiving palliative care in primary care: a qualitative study. Br J Gen Pract, 58(549), 264-72. eScholarID:135782 | PMID:18494176 | DOI:10.3399/bjgp08X279652
- Yardley, L., Kirby, S., Ben-Shlomo, Y., Gilbert, R., Whitehead, S. & Todd, C (2008). How likely are older people to take up different falls prevention activities? Preventive medicine, 47(5), 554. eScholarID:136439 | PMID:18817810 | DOI:10.1016/j.ypmed.2008.09.001
Selected research projects
- Effectiveness of home care nursing in decreasing side effects and improving quality of life in breast and colorectal cancer patients receiving oral chemotherapy
- Evaluating the impact of a Carer Support Needs Assessment Tool in Hospice at Home care: a feasibility trial
- FARSEEING FAll Repository for the design of Smart and sElf-adaptive Environments prolonging INdependent livinG
- Management of older women with breast cancer in north west England
- Methods for evaluating service delivery models for end of life care (EoLC): development of best practice guidance
- MORECare - Methods for evaluating service delivery models for end of life care (EoLC): development of best practice guidance
- Piloting a carer support needs assessment tool to facilitate communication in palliative home care practice
- Predictors of patients' use of cancer support groups: A prospective study
- Presenting advice about falls prevention interventions to older people
- ProFaNE – Prevention of Falls Network Europe Thematic Network
- Prognosis in Palliative Care Study (PiPS)
- Readmission for exacerbation of COPD: Psycho-social risk factors and symptom perception amongst community based elderly people
- Socio-economic and ethnic differences in fall-related mortality, morbidity, health care seeking behaviour and provision of services
- The course, correlates and outcomes of quality of life and needs of palliative colorectal and lung cancer patients
- The efficacy and cost effectiveness of falling prediction and prevention programme in older patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- The impact of variations in out of hours end of life care provision on patient experience, staff and health systems
- Treatment decision making for elderly breast cancer patients in Greater Manchester